This achievement is among the findings published in the 2020 Healthgrades report to the nation. This report demonstrates the importance of hospital quality to hospital leaders and consumers, and recognizes Watauga Medical Center’s commitment to quality patient outcomes with multiple awards and accomplishments in orthopedics:
- Top 100 US Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery™ in 2020
- Excellence in Orthopedic Surgery™ Award and Top 10% in the country for 2 consecutive years (2019-2020)
- 5 stars for treatment of hip fractures for 2 consecutive years (2019-2020)
“I am extremely proud that our orthopedic service has been recognized in this way. These awards represent the culmination of the vision, cooperation, passion and hard work of every member of our orthopedic team. We have all worked tirelessly to provide the best possible care to the patients who trust us with their orthopedic care, said Dr. Steven Anderson, Orthopedic Surgeon at AppOrtho. “Our goal over the past few years has been to make orthopedics at Watauga Medical Center a service providing the highest quality joint and musculoskeletal care, but with an element of hometown convenience and compassion or from the small town that is often not found to larger “big city medical centers”. These awards confirm that we are heading in the right direction.
Varying hospital quality can have a significant impact on the quality of care a patient receives.
Healthgrades compared the 2020 award recipients as a group, to all other hospitals, and found that on average:
- Patients have a 39.7% lower risk of complications if treated at hospitals that have received America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery™ award, compared to hospitals that have not received the award.*
- Patients have a 37.7% lower risk of complications if treated at hospitals that have received the Excellence in Orthopedic Surgery™ award, compared to hospitals that have not received the award.*
- Patients have a 46.6% lower risk of complications if treated at hospitals that have received a 5-star rating for treating hip fractures, compared to hospitals that have received a 1-star rating. *
“As consumers manage their health, it’s important to consider a number of factors, including hospital quality, before deciding where to access care,” said Brad Bowman, MD, chief medical officer , Healthgrades. “Healthgrades America’s Top 100 Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery recognizes hospitals that have proven their dedication to quality care and exceptional outcomes over time and we applaud their efforts and achievements.”
Watauga Medical Center has also received national recognition for the following clinical areas:
- Patient Safety Excellence Award ™ and Top 10% in the country in 2019
- Excellence in Coronary Intervention™ Award and Top 10% Nationwide in 2020
- 5 stars for heart attack treatment for 2 consecutive years (2019-2020)
- 5 stars for heart failure treatment in 2020
Each year, Healthgrades rates the hospital performance of nearly 4,500 hospitals nationwide for 32 of the most common hospitalization procedures and conditions using Medicare data, and appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 15 states.
For its analysis, Healthgrades assessed approximately 45 million Medicare hospitalization records for nearly 4,500 acute care hospitals nationwide to assess hospital performance for 32 common conditions and procedures, and assessed appendectomy and bariatric surgery outcomes using all-payer data provided by 15 states. . The 2020 Healthgrades report to the nation and detailed study methodology are available at